Modern Warfare 2 Ruined

rated by 0 users
This post has 38 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293
Troop Posted: 10-18-2009 8:00 PM

Check out this post:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990468

Make sure you listen to the webcast (skip to the 1hour, 39minute mark for MW2).

If this is true, I most certainly won't be buying MW2. What a disappointment :/

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

Make sure you sign the online petition to let Infinity Ward know how we feel.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/dedis4mw/

I personally will not be purchasing this game for anyone here unless they change this.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

That petition has over 40,000 more signatures this morning than it did yesterday morning.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

100,000 now!  looked through 1000's of signatures and 99% seem legit which doesn't surprise me in the least.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

IW's response (at least, the guy in the podcast responds): http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

It's all a pretty weak argument really. The comments on his blog post show pretty much the same response as seen elsewhere.

FourZeroTwo is likely the most hated man on the planet right now, which is silly as the communities' anger should be directed solely at BlizzardiVision/Infinitard and not at their clueless meatshield.

this is one of the comments (this is not my comment) made to 402's blog. It is so funny i have to repost it here. This is true hatred for someone folks!

Admit it IW u ****ED UP, and because of your stupid brain U ****ED US. I hope u all end up broke with no money and no food for this and I'm NOT JOKING!

Here is my comment on that site:

ParaDOX:

You say you want to make it easier for the uneducated PC players, provide your method as an option, but give the rest of the community (I'm guessing the biggest part of the community) the option of hosting our own servers the way we have since online gaming began and give us a server list to chose what and where we want to play. This is the only compromise that might save this game for the PC community. I am pretty sure which option will be the most used.
Give us our dedicated servers or you can watch the game sales fizzle for the PC version.
Don't provide modding/mapping tools and this game will be dead in a couple of months either way.
Perfect example, Counter-Strike, this game and it's community still thrives on PC (dead for console) because of the mapping and Modding community. without it it would have died out years ago.
Follow in Valve footsteps and provide us with what we want not force feed us console leftovers.

I really wanted to say more, but I have to get back to work. Ugh, I'm thoroughly digusted. I even discussed this with my wife and she agrees with me.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

this is somewhat interesting. i posted this elsewhere too as it innocently sheds some light on whos pushing for what.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/modernwarfare2/news.html?sid=6232123&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;2

to filter the whole article, heres a a few snippets taht sums it up:

Considering Call of Duty 4's phenomenal success, it may come as a shock that Activision initially opposed Infinity Ward's decision to abandon World War II for a more contemporary setting. What's more, the publisher wasn't overly keen on bringing the developer's wares to consoles, either

With Call of Duty 2, we were dead set against it being World War II," Zampella said. "But Activision really wanted it, the compromise sort of being that we'd get some dev kits for consoles in exchange for doing a World War II game. We always wanted to be on consoles and Activision saw us as more of a PC developer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also found this on lazygamer.com which at least shows what IW are currently intending to do about the community response... nothing

The recent announcement that the PC version of Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 would be forgoing the use – or even allowance – of dedicated servers, favouring a console-style matchmaking system dubbed IWNet, has been met with a less-than-enthusiastic response from gamers.

People have bitched and moaned, started petitions, cancelled orders and threatened with boycott. Well, Infinity Ward have heard your pleas…

…and elected to do nothing about them. That’s right folks – Infinity Ward have put their mighty feet to the ground and reconfirmed that Modern Warfare 2, arguably the most anticipated first person shooter of the year, will not be getting dedicated server support.

Infinity Ward overlords Vince Zampella and Jason West have bandied together to issue an official response, and things don’t look good.  Jason said, "We’re just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," hoping that those who were put off by cheaters will give it a go this time.  "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game."

He further added that, despite community request, there will be no happy compromise of both dedicated servers and the new system running in parallel, saying it would "just bifurcate the community."

The community’s bifurcated alright – half of ‘em aren’t even sure if they’re going to bother buying the game any more.

sorry for the wall guys.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

While I'm not quite at the point of anger where I'd like all the workers of IW to starve to become homeless and starve to death, I am pretty angry about all of this. They really don't seem to understand the problem here. The author above beat me to the point of the community being bifurcated...they've already done that. Plus, do you know ANYONE who has EVER had trouble finding a server with a server list? Also, I'm not even sure if I've ever seen a hacker in CoD4. Punkbuster took care of hackers (and, you know, just about every fair player too). I bet hackers will be even more of a problem on these new servers than they ever have been on ours (plus, I always had the power to ban them on our servers). There are dozens of reasons, business and otherwise, that this decision is absolutely absurd (and downright retarded in reality).

Yeah, I don't see them doing anything about it. Hopefully this doesn't happen:

1. Everyone boycotts the game. Hurt them in their wallets, right?

2. The console sales for the game sky rocket while the PC sales fail horribly (because everybody boycotted it).

3. They stop making games for PC because they were only selling well for the console.

Then again, if I'm not going to play the game I guess I don't have to worry if they stop producing new ones. If only they listened to the people who really matter.

Top 25 Contributor
Points 728

My post as requested by Para:

Some people aren't really sure why so many people are complaining about the MW2 multiplayer settings, so I just thought of an easy way to describe it.

Think of dedicated servers as their own community, each one of them has a different atmosphere, rules and regulations. People who stay on these server have the opportunity to befriend other regulars on the server, like I said in the beginning, a nice little community. Remember now, the way join dedicated servers, is to merely pick one, and if your friends want to join mid-game, they can with extreme ease, save the game being full and whatnot.

Now, enter IWNET. Moving over to a purely matchmaking system is a FANTASTIC business decision, as it heavily cuts down on piracy, that being said, it goes against the basis of shooters / many other games on PC, and replaces the small community with an extremely large scale one, which I like to call the Xbox Live Effect. Now, Xbox Live is a fantastic service, dont get me wrong, but thats because running a dedicated server on a console is frankly a waste of money. The way matchmaking works (until shown otherwise) is like this - you make a party, and make sure all of your friends who want to play are there in that party. Then you pick from a list of playlists - a list of predetermined gametypes/map rotation/game size/rules etc. When you have your party, you press the button that makes the magic happen.

This is where most of us have a problem. Since everyone you want to play with has to be in your party to begin with, this leaves for a lot of downtime. On dedicated servers, you pick one, then go, and your friends will join you at their leisure. You're playing the game, and being entertained while waiting for friends.

The next problem is when you get into a game, as stated before, when you join a dedicated server, you jump right in, people are dropping/joining and its relatively easy to get into the server unless its extremely popular. In matchmaking, however, since you had to wait to queue for a game, if a friend wants to join you, they're probably SOL based on the way people stay for entire lengths of games using the matchmaking system.

Another problem, which makes me sad, since I just started getting involved in this recently, is LAN games. Matchmaking takes a lot of the glamor away from LANs. You may be able to host custom games, but that means that everyone has to be friends with one other person who is some how connected to the guy who made the game. People just coming to the LAN with either no friends, or no friends that own the game/are in it are screwed here again.

Modding. The mod community is HUGE on dedicated PC servers, 99% of servers are administered using an admin mod of sorts. And then you've got SDK mods. (i.e. Dystopia, GoldenEye Source, etc) Since this is unique to the PC community, my guess is not so well. One of the things I forgot to mention about matchmaking is the "minimum players required for a playlist" some custom mods may have trouble catching on because of this rule.

Last, and definitely not least, and perhaps the worst part of the Xbox Live Effect: Community. You just went with gaming with a community of people, to randomly selecting >5 other random people from wherever else in the world they may be. Chances are, they suck personality/communication/skill wise. More likely than not. Not only that, but a LOT of people I know enjoy building communities. Take EGS (RIT Gaming Club) for example. We cant really make a community on CoD 4 by sending out a steam message to the entire group going "HEY! LISTEN! JOIN ALL YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS IN A GAME OF MW2!" like we do for TF2. Instead, it would read like "Hey... uh, you guys wanna organize separate teams, try to queue up at the same time and see if we can play each other somehow?" "Oh, we have an odd number of groups? Oh well, someone will have to play with Europeans again."

P.S. F*** THAT PRICE TAG!!1!!! $60!?!? FOR A PC GAME?! NO. THANK. YOU.
However, as I stated before, if the game is in a 4 pack that magically makes it <=34 dollars, it will be hard to resist.
Hell, if it goes on sale, and its < 30, the same rule applies.

Warning, reading below this line is sadness.

Quote from my Electrical Engineering/Marketing Friend -
"CoD4 sold 15 million copies. Assuming the 120k or whatever petition signers don't buy the game, they're only losing .85% of their sales. Hell, even if you cut the CoD4 sales in half to account for the fact it's been out for a few years, we're still only talking 1.7%. That is not a market size to give a rat's ass about."

I personally don't care if they stop making PC games if they are just making pc versions of Console games.

I can't stand the Console matchmaking system. Even L4D is annoying to me, but at least Valve gives us the option of running our won server, which we do, it's still up and it is up to date. We will be playing L4D2 and running a server for it when it comes out soon. At least Valve understands what the PC gaming community is all about. The idiots over at Activision haven't got a clue. If I want to play a watered down game I'll play it on a console, but I refuse to support the same on PC.

I'm so mad about this I coudl Scream! In fact I have, several times! Last time I was this upset about a game was when Troop left us hangin in AoC! Stick out tongue

I guess I'm so upset because I normally don't get all excited waiting for a new game and this time I did, and look what happened!

I will say one thing though, I am Extremely happy this news came out PRIOR to release! I would have blown a gasket if I paid $120 for a game only to find this out afterwards!

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

My Reply in Facebook:

But that's the whole point! With the current Dedicated server system you have the choice to play on a server with mods or on a server without mods. They are removing the choice altogether. Another things the Mapping / Mods / Custom content do for a game is provide entertainment past the point where the game would become boring and people would move on. Look at the Half-Life Mods and Counter-Stirke Community, still going after 10 years with the same games! Mods and the map making community keep those games alive.They are also keeping MW alive now. Historically any game that does not provide those options will fail in the long run as far as keeping a community going. Obviously once IW has your $60 (Way too much for a PC game and in a recession!!) They don't care, just like the console counterparts, a little bit of DLC and then off to the next game. The PC Multiplayer world doesn't like to work that way.
As for the Piracy, we all know that the tighter they squeeze their fist the more people will pirate the game. Anyone remember Spore? The most priated game ever, lol. If they wanted to cut down on Piracy, lower the price of the game!! Make it < $40 and they will sell lots more copies!

This is a FAIL game adn I hope everyone passes on this game to teach IW and Activision a lesson they will not soon forget...

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

I'd be curious to know how many copies of this game (consolewise) are bought for rental purposes by companies like blockbuster etc.. i imagine this alone makes up a massive chunk of sales for a video game such as this, at least in north america. in canada alone there are many hundreds of blockbusters, and thousands in the States. thats just one company out of dozens.

I could guess that blockbuster between canada and the states will puchase at least 50 copies per store (here they probably will for a town of 20,000 people) multiplied by lets say a few thousand stores continent wide may equal half a million sold before the boxes are sealed for delivery. that is just with blockbuster. i would estimate triple or quadruple that in north america between all rental companies. and that number is still probably shooting way too low.

considering many people in the world have poor internet connections outside this continent (low ping) this leaves console version a shaky investment concerning mp, and renting the game something done for sp. 

so yeah, after mulling over this in my mind, i would say that yes, a huge chunk of mw2 puchases are out of anyones control. this also doesn't include retailers who buy large quantities and sell them, but thats another mess of greasy hair.

question is tho, how much of the 14 million sold for cod4 were on pc?  considering lower price of game on pc (at least then) and mp having good ping dedi-servers everywhere there are communities and isp's hosting dedicated servers, both out of there own pocket, it would seem the logical choice in most areas of the world to go pc for cod4mp. for sp, people probably either pirated, borrowed or bought from used bin at EB for 15 bucks).

I really question that xbox and ps3 had an overwhelming majority like ~98%, but its all speculation without real numbers to work with, so I am only loosely clutching at straws here and am probably way off.

either way, i'm not buying the game. even if it were 5 bucks in the used bin and i played the sp mode, it would only piss me off more by reminding me the mp version was ruined.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

-sigh- i catch the flu for half a week and i gotta come back to this news -.- why joe!?!?

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。

DarkAstraea:
-sigh- i catch the flu for half a week and i gotta come back to this news -.- why joe!?!?

This is why you can't get sick!

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

"CoD4 sold 15 million copies. Assuming the 120k or whatever petition signers don't buy the game, they're only losing .85% of their sales. Hell, even if you cut the CoD4 sales in half to account for the fact it's been out for a few years, we're still only talking 1.7%. That is not a market size to give a rat's ass about."

First off, how many of those were PC sales? Secondly, a game only gets huge when there's a lot of talking about how great it is. That 2% market size that's not worth worrying about is $7,200,000 worth of people (assuming they don't buy the game, but lets face it many of those signers couldn't boycott anything resembling a video game if you held a gun to their head). Now, that 120,000 won't buy the game, and won't rant about how awesome it is, and their friends won't buy it, and THEIR friends won't buy it. Without communities the game will die out very quickly and the buzz will be short lived. It's the hardcore gamers that really do their best to spread around a good game, and now they've lost that. Still, Call of Duty is a big game, and they might not need the hardcore gamers to spread it around as much as they do with others.

Also...I can't believe they raised the price of the game. I think I'll stick to buying games like Bioshock in the $5.00 bargain bin.

Oh, and... http://www.geeks.co.uk/7282-activision%E2%80%99s-bobby-kotick-hates-developers-innovation-cheap-games-you

Come on, where's Darwinism when we need it (and what does this mean for Blizzard games?).

wow, kotick is clearly walking around with this face ---> .  if a grocery store told me they were gonna raise the price of my food by 1000% over a length of time, i would likely avoid that place like it was the plague. no diffferent with video games.

Activision can go for broke for all i care now.  when activision's day in the sun is over, and the pendulum swings back the other way it might just have a wrecking ball attached to it.

not to mentioned they pee'd on my rug....that rug tied the room together.

imagine though. There will come a point where sales will increase at a slower rate than maintanence of IW.net. At that point, they will have to kill IW.net or charge for usage.

There are also some Steam and Xfire groups you can join to show your support for Dedicateed servers in MW2.
Can you say B O Y C O T T boys and girls?

Steam Community: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BOYCOTTMW2 

Xfire: http://www.xfire.com/communities/boycot/

I am sure that more will popup. I'm going to join these for now.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

here's another one  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BOYCOTTMW2

I wept a little watching this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfTR8PBrsE

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX