Blizzard Boss says DRM is a waste of time

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 05-28-2010 3:52 AM

Blizzard co-founder Frank Pearce reckons that fighting piracy with DRM is a losing battle. His company — which is responsible for one of the biggest video games of all time, the worryingly-addictive online fantasy role player World of Warcraft — is to release StarCraft 2 on July 27th, and Pearce has told Videogamer that the title won't be hobbled with the kind of crazy copy protection schemes which have made Ubisoft very unpopular in gaming circles of late. StarCraft 2 will require a single online activation using the company's Battle.net servers, after which players will be allowed to play the single-player game to their hearts' content, without being forced to have a persistent Internet connection.

Woot! Go Blizzard!! Finally! Someone who's smart enough to know that the war against piracy is a losing one!

(Clickeh!!!) (Clekeh!!)

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。

I agree!

More game companies need to see this and follow suit.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

Hell yeah! I'm glad that Blizzard decided to go against DRM. Not just because I don't want it on my PC, but also because Blizzard is a large, successful, company and I think it's necessary for other large successful companies to take note the increased success of not having DRM on their software.

Also, notice the headline of the second article: "Gamers 'will want to be' connected to Battle.net while playing Starcraft II."

This is very Steam-esque if you ask me. This is clearly a form of DRM, but it's not (in my opinion) intrustive or obtrusive like many other forms of DRM. I think it's a step in the right direction.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 23

blizzard has seen the light, hurrah!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX