Government Admits Spying Over Facebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 10-14-2010 12:02 PM

"Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg famously said that the age of privacy is over. And the government wants to ensure that, it seems. The Electronic Frontier Foundation's FOIA request has revealed government memos encouraging agents to befriend people on a variety of social networks, to take advantage of their readiness to share — and to spy on them. Thanks to this request, the government released a handful of documents, including a May 2008 memo detailing how social-networking sites are exploited by the Office of Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS), and one revealing how the DHS monitored social media during the Obama inauguration."

["Age of Privacy Over"][That Medic's A Spy!]

Though the privacy statement was made at the beginning of the year, thought it would be nice for those who didn't see it yet. But to summarize, the feds are spying on you! Good thing i don't have a Facebook account.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。

DarkAstraea:
Good thing i don't have a Facebook account.

Good thing I don't post anything personal!

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

I have a few points to make...

1) There's nothing on my Facebook account that I would hide from the Feds anyways.
2) You're accepting them as a friend. It's like having an underground drug market going through your house and willingly letting police (okay, maybe more like undercover police?) enter without a warrant (that's how it works in the US anyways). If you don't want someone to know something, maybe you shouldn't tell them.
3) Zuckerberg is kind of a/an jerk. Please replace "jerk" with your preferred term of profanity, as I am incapable of doing so here. He's also kind of a moron. His reasoning in your link is simply absurd. I think he's just making up the reasoning anyways. His motivations have never been pure. He probably did it for monetary reasons. He cares more about his ego than he does society.

On another note, this whole thing kind of rings Orwellian to me...while I could see why they would use such a tool, it just doesn't sound like they should be...

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

I don't really know how FB works cause it sucks regardless. It is an overrated product. There are millions of people out there who leave their info out on their pages and allow the public, their friends of friends (i dunno can friends of friend's view your pages?), etc. to view their pages, anything you post on FB can affect you IRL whether, it is now or later. Like we've seen before, court cases have had people turn over their FB info because of the stuff they posted.

So just because you may not have anything personal or what not on FB, you have to be very wary of what you post on FB cause it may come back to haunt you. Not that that would happen to us, but i'm just saying it's very stupid that stuff like this happens.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 23
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

DarkAstraea:

I don't know anything about FB but I bash it all the time anyways.

;)

I'm not going to get into an argument about how good or bad Facebook is, but I will agree with you that people do not always use it wisely. Still, Facebook shouldn't be held accountable for its users stupidity. People will be stupid with anything. And yeah, you do have to be wary of what you put on Facebook. Just like you should be wary about anything else you put on the internet.

Oh, and to answer your question, it depends on your privacy settings. There is an option to allow "friends of friends" to see certain information (pictures, profile, "wall" posts), but in my opinion it's not a terribly smart thing to do. My friends probably average 200-800 friends (600?) per friend, so I'd be letting thousands (well, some friends-of-friends will likely be the same so maybe not) of people I don't know view my info with a form of pseudo-consent. Obviously not my style :).

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Even though I may not know much about it, I am more self-aware about the risks than others. So i will continue to bash it. You never know what may happen, but it's always good to be prepared for whatever it may be. Should never overlook privacy, there are krazy people out there.

Top 50 Contributor
Points 202

Ever wonder how Zuckerberg got rich? It's because he sells everyones info http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/facebook-privacy-scandal-facebooks-watergate/story?id=11912201 -ok I'm probably bashing FB tho I've never used it & never will, I have used myspace once long time ago for about a year just to try to see how the social area for gaming is but nothing much happened so I deleted it. The social network is a good movie to watch, but the only thing I don't like is it cuts back & forth in time too much, it doesn't confuse me I just don't like shows that do that more than 2-3 times.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Ahh you beat me to it! 1 UP!

The yesterday version: http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/forums/p/1238/3460.aspx#3460

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX