Facebook Apps Sending Unnecessary Data

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 10-18-2010 11:00 AM

"No stranger to privacy concerns, Facebook is one again in in the privacy spotlight following a Wall Street Journal report that some popular Facebook applications leak personal information to advertisers. "Many of the popular applications, or 'apps,' on the social-networking site Facebook Inc. have been transmitting identifying information — in effect, providing access to people's names and, in some cases, their friends' names — to dozens of advertising and Internet tracking companies," according to The Wall Street Journal, which wrote about Facebook Sunday in the latest installment of its recent "What They Know" series about advertising and the Internet."

[Clickeh][I need's a dispenser!]

Although a Facebook developer states that the information transmitted back is due to browser flaws, I think that is only an excuse to blind the public. Some of Facebook's big applications were down until today for unknown reasons after the Journal stated the issue. So if you were playing Farmville or using whatever other apps, your information may have been transmitted to unwanted people.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。

This is why, even though I do use Facebook I NEVER use those apps!

They actually tell you information that can be used to identify may be sent to third parties.

I try to always read the fine print, I know most people don't.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

"Every few weeks, it seems, Facebook is caught again violating users' privacy. A code error there, rogue business partners there. The truth, as InfoWorld's Bill Snyder explains, is that Facebook will keep on violating your privacy, no matter what its policies say, what promises it makes, or how shocked it claims to be at the latest incident. The reason is simple: Selling personal information on its users is how it makes money, and Facebook is above all a business."

[Need I Say More?]

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX