Second Life

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293
Troop Posted: 05-19-2007 11:09 PM

Well, a few days ago {MC}ParaDOX got into the game "Second Life". I finally gave in and opened my mind to the game, and downloaded it. What a waste of a game. You start out in a sucky introduction tutorial zone, where you're supposed to learn how to play the game. It attempts to tell you how to do things. Somewhere during that you edit your appearance to make it look how you want. Eventually, you give up. After you give up, you end up in the real world, where you..walk...and fly..and stuff...

The interface for this game is really amazing. I've never seen anything worse, and I'm surprised they pulled that off. The people who play it take it too seriously, and a lot of them have no lives- it's meant for rping. Of course we play it for the purpose of having fun constructing things. In fact, the game creators suck so bad they want US to make the content. I mean, if they have a UI that I could actually manage to get around without thinking of how to get to something or find something, I would give them some credit. They can't even get the zoom feature right- it's annoying. I like how you can custom create your character to be anything though, but it's hard to make it actually become what you want, and it's glitchy.

The controls and interface as I have mentioned are dreaful and make the game almost impossible to "play". The graphics are pretty horrible, and I still don't see any point to the game except to fly around hitting walls and "YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO ENTER THIS PROPERTY" signs. Something about the game makes me come back to it. It's like I want to see how much they can't create a game and how horrible a game it is. It's like I want to master the terrible interface. I'm not sure what it is, but it's annoying too.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

yeah this game is driving me nuts! but i still like it lol...

• | Post Points: 5

to "play" what troop is talking about, go to www.secondlife.com and download the latest version.

(posted for frontpage needs)

What Troop should have said was: This game is NOT for anyone that without patience! It is also not for kids... (There is a Teen version however).

Bottom line is, It is not a normal game, It's not a RTS, FPS, RPG or any of the other classifications most games fall under. It is however a mishmash of everything. A lot of people use it to RP. Some use it as a business, in fact some business use it. It is more of an open ended world where just about anything goes.

The interface is incredibly flexible. It does more than any other game I have played.
There are 3 basic view modes:

1. Normal, which is like a third person mode used for normal things. I normally hate third person view, but this lets you switch to First Person mode easily enough for most things.
  2. First Person/Mouselook mode - Here is one of the few complaints I have about the game. It is a Mouselook mode where you can look around and manuever like many familiar games, but you cant do anything else in this mode. Your HUD is disabled and you can't even click anything!
  3. Camera Mode - Also known as Alt+Zoom mode. By far the most flexible way to see the world.... I use this a lot while building. It lets you zoom into any object you focus on (Alt+Left Click) then you can rotate around it (still holding Alt) Press CTRL while Alt+zooming and you can Move up and down.

Personally I wish they provided a way to customize some of the controls..

If you paid for the land wouldn't want the option to keep undesirables out?. lol...

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

this game confuses me but i guess i am good company to make fun of and stuff like that.... Such as "Stab u idiot y did u mess up my 4 hours of work" or "Give Stab (big word i dont know) so he can get back up here" Also "Get out Stab" Mostly dark and rush And my favorite "Stab! y are u doing that! dont u know u will get banned for that!!!" Also "Stab dont shoot that! BOOM!!! (i blew up para's entire house or somthing)" And that is what i am good for! =] -stab
Meh
Top 25 Contributor
Points 428

Despite paradox's shameless promotion of this game, it really doesn't sound appealing to me at all. Just a waste of space.
“The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp” “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.” - Terry Pratchett
  • | Post Points: 23

Mr Luzcious:

Despite paradox's shameless promotion of this game, it really doesn't sound appealing to me at all. Just a waste of space.

LOL

Sorry, I get a bit excited when it's something I enjoy or believe in..  I can't believe how much fun I am having here...

It actually doesn't take up that much space, its a very small install considering what it does... The download is 34 MB's and that is the updated version, you don't have to patch when you get online.

What I found amusing is that Troop/Imaginary is in here every day with us in SL.. Having a blast I might add. It seems like he is enjoying it more as he gets used to the things he hates.. kinda funny...

Rush even reinstalled it. WARpedMind jumped in last night.

It has something for just about everyone. Rush found Mos Eisley, the spaceport from Star Wars in there,it was quite cool, looked very well done. There were even Jedi's and other starwars characters fighting it out. I'll go back there and get screen shots and post a SLURL if anyone is interested...

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Yeah, I reinstalled it just to check out "Paradises Garage" and I guess the addiction finally hit.

Mos Eisley is great. So far, it is the ONLY city in secondlife that I have seen in which its roll playing is so complex that the scenery actually changes to fit the roll playing. Yesterday, the sandpeople attacked and the buildings were in ruins while jawas and ewoks were running around everywhere and stormtroopers and other "dark side" characters were "inspecting" others. Me, Para and Troop were sitting in a land speeder when a Jedi came up to us asking us some questions. Then a beast came up and attacked him and BOOM there was a battle going on. It was soooo cool. Im in Mos Eisley almost everyday checking this place out. Almost forgot to mention the alluminum falcon and the sandcrawler, which are so cool.

Yesterday, after making my custom lightsaber (with sounds and ability to attack and kill people), we (me and para) were in a starwars store looking at some stuff for sale and I was sitting there reading some stuff with my orange lightsaber out when all of a sudden from behind me I heard the opening of a light saber. It was battle time. Me and him were duking it out in the middle of the store for a few minutes untill he left, which hopefully para will post the screenshots in the secondlife screenshot thread.

do u guys life my castle so far muahahahaa 

Meh

It's actually pretty cool considering you just started it. You should link it and then take it back to your inventory for back so we can clean up :)

I'm not sure what you plan on doing with it though... Also make sure you grant me edit permissions on your objects. You do this in the friends window by selelcting me then check the boxes:

• Can see me on Map
  • Can edit my objects

This way I can move them around or edit them. It really helps. Also in the objects properties you can set "Share with Group" then we can all modify it.

Some other useful permissions:

• Allow Copy - so we can take a copy for our selves if we like it. If this is set anyone can copy, Use share with group if you don't want strangers picking up your stuff...
  • Allow modify - Others can modify the object.
  • Sell - set an amount to buy it.

You can also set it so that the next owner (whomever takes a copy) can modify or copy or resell it.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX