Some Servers not showing up on the Steam Master Server List - Redux

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

ParaDOX Posted: 08-27-2007 3:10 PM

I am re-posting this here so that anyone else having similar issues may learn from this.  This was originally posted to the HLDS Mailing list. I'll post the replies as they come in.

-------------------------- Original content -----------------------

Yeah I know this subject has been done to death! I am also familiar with all the common problems.

I have tried all the tried and true techniques for resolving this. It is most likely caused by the new firewall I just implemented. But I want to know why!

Servers:

3 HP Proliant DL 380 G3 (full specs available if required)

1. HLDS x 4 - 67.93.155.120:27015 <-- Connected to the DMZ, This one shows up on the SMSL

2. HLDS x 5 - 67.93.155.126:27015 <-- LAN NAT to WAN does not show up on SMSL

3. HLDSS x 4 - 67.93.155.119:27015 <-- LAN NAT to WAN does not show up on SMSL

Never mind the performance and bandwidth, it all works great.. Or used to, read on...

Oh yeah, please don't state the obvious solution, put them all on the DMZ! I want them all on the LAN, They should and did work on the LAN before the firewall was changed. The DMZ is being used as a test case.

All servers are playable if you connect manually or have them on your Favorites list.

Firewall:

Sonicwall Pro 3060 with Enhanced OS - http://www.sonicwall.com/us/PRO_3060.html

3 Security Zones

LAN - > all outbound traffic allowed

WAN < - All inbound blocked except for UDP and TCP ports 27000 - 27050

DMZ < - All inbound blocked except for UDP and TCP ports 27000 - 27050

The NAT is configured to allow all traffic transparently to the specified host on the LAN. The same firewall rules are used on the DMZ and LAN to control what ports are open to the WAN.

For a full list of the other ports and servers use Game Monitor:

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?search={MC}&type=server

They don't all show up using Game tiger however:

http://www.gametiger.net/search?server=%7BMC%7D&game=all

Notice only the one IP shows up. All the servers are configured similarly and some have been up for years without issues.

It seems like Game Monitor caches the server list and will continue to ping and report a server as being up as long as it still replies regardless of the SMSL (Steam Master Server List) It looks at the SMSL for new servers and will only show a server if it is first on the SMSL.

Game Tiger will only show servers that show up on the SMSL.

The server on the DMZ shows up fine and has a steady population. The servers on the LAN do not.

Using the built in connection monitor I see all the servers connecting the SMSL servers and they pass the same amount of data back and forth. I would need to use a packet sniffer to get more precise.

The purpose of this post is to better understand the way the HLDS servers communicate with the Steam master servers. If it is the firewall causing the problem I need to be able to explain exactly what the problem is to the firewall manufacturer so they can fix it. I have read (several times) The Master Server Protocol located here:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Master_Server_Query_Protocol and numerous other documents. I understand what should be happening, just not sure why it isn't.

Previously, I had a Sonicwall Pro 230 and all the servers showed up fine from the LAN using NAT and similar rules. I upgraded for better performance and more features, plus regular updates. They stopped supporting the older one.

I hope this is clear enough to follow. Let me know what needs clarification.

I hope that this can help others that may have issues with servers showing up the SMSL as well.

Mike ParaDOX

www.paradisesgarage.com

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

Dan E Said:

What address are you telling the servers to bind to? Perhaps if they are trying to bind to an un-routable address, the SMSL is throwing out their entry. (Some startup line info may be of assistance)

I replied:

Dan, Here is one of the startup command lines. They are all similar except the port, map and # of players.

-game cstrike +port 27015 -console +maxplayers 20 +map starwars_trench2 +log on

The server only has one IP so binding should not be necessary. I did try binding to the local ip, it made no difference. From what I understand the SMSL shows the public IP of the server that is connecting to it regardless of the actual IP the localhost uses.

I might also add that the console shows it connecting to Steam servers successfully. It then adds two Master servers. You can also connect and play on all of the servers, so the addresses are valid and routable. These used to work fine before changing the firewall. Nothing else has changed. It’s the same server config I have been using for years..

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX