"Mozilla Jetpack and the battle for the web"

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 05-28-2009 12:37 PM

Now I know most of you will probably "QewQew" about Firefox and saying it's terrible and such, frankly I don't really care. What I do care about is how this new software will impact the interwebs in the future. So here we go....

"Mozilla Jetpack makes it so easy to filter, modify, and mash up pages that it might end up pitting developers and users against content producers in a battle for the Web, writes Fatal Exception's Neil McAllister. By allowing users to modify the behavior, presentation, and output of Web apps and pages to their liking, Jetpack gives users the ability to 'patch the server, in a sense,' McAllister writes, bringing us one step closer to a more democratic Web. Good news for developers and users; not so good for SaaS providers and media companies that have a vested interest in controlling the function, presentation, and distribution of Web-based content and apps. In other words, as Jetpack produces fruit, expect more producers to call for 'guardrails for the Internet.'"

(Link 1) (Link 2)

I am very much looking forward to this program coming out and hopefully so will some of you.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 23

Scary...

Very interesting, very useful (for some), but not so good for the content providers... Let's say you're designing a website and want or need it to display a certain way, someone visits your site with this and gets unexpected results and thinks your site sucks because something isn't working. I'm thinking a large portion of the people who end up using this will not be actually writing any code, they will be using someone elses code, so they may not understand all the implications of what it is doing.

I was going to ensure that the next site I work on was 100% Firefox compatible, but with stuff like this that is impossible. Maybe I will force IE. If browser is not IE, close window, or open IE. lol...

I'm curious to see where this leads though.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Well if the person is using it and the site ends up looking bad they can simply just change it to the regular output on how it should look. This program is making the internet more free and less restricted which in my point of view is good. It helps developers and users create their own personal internet environment while they do their daily website visits and it helps add-on makers because they won't have to learn an extra scripting language to get what they want. And you're worried that people will abuse it since they don't know what they are doing? It's all a learning curve, I can't wait cause I'll finally be able to get rid of those ads and random pop-ups, hopefully.

Also you should know this by now, but there are plugins which allows Firefox to access IE only pages so your attempts will still be futile and we'd probably lose more visitors just by doing that.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。

lol, I'm not talking about this site! I have a business related site the is currently IE only.  This site will always stay as cross platform as I can make it.

fyi, I get no popups at all using IE8, Ads I don't mind as long as they are standard and not pop-up or pop-unders.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293
Troop replied on 05-30-2009 2:46 PM

I never get popups either, unless I allow them, and I agree that I don't mind normal ads...but that's a bit off topic.

InfoWorld:

Michael Lynton, the chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, recently said he "doesn't see anything good having come from the Internet, period." When taken to task for his comment, he explained that we need "guardrails for the Internet," insisting that "in no other realm of our society have we encountered so widespread and consequential a failure to put in place guidelines over the use and growth of such a major industry."

I feel like I could rant on forever about this guy and what he has to say. It's like he misses the entire beauty of the internet and what he's saying really makes me mad. I guess he can't help it, he's the CEO of Sony and they've become extremely power-hungry and over-protective of their software (but I suppose that's getting off topic too).

Apparently the author of this article agrees with me, although I'm not sure I really like the author either.

InfoWorld:

Developers have already seen the possibilities of this new medium, and the momentum won't stop -- unless Lynton and his allies get their way.

In other words..."This will continue until it gets stopped." Duh?

As for cyber security...well, that's a tricky subject. It sounds like exactly what it should be: network protection for public and private networks in the U.S. I mean, have you seen reports like these? That's pretty scary stuff.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 53

If a company like a power company, provides a service that the public safety depends on they should have security guidelines and regular auditing to ensure the security of those networks and systems. The credit card companies enforce certain guidelines if you want to use their service in order to protect their customers identity.

I think it's ridiculous that our power companies have such lax security that they allowed their systems to be compromised.

"Determined Hackers can probably hack into any system if that system is not maintained by equally determined individuals protecting it."
 - ParaDOX's Security rule #1

However none of that should affect the private sector in the sense that they screen and monitor all traffic. Privacy issues again...

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

ParaDOX:

"Determined Hackers can probably hack into any system if that system is not maintained by equally determined individuals protecting it."
 - ParaDOX's Security rule #1

Genius.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX