Crysis on Sale at Steam Store with SecuROM DRM?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

ParaDOX Posted: 11-14-2009 2:30 PM

I was just about to buy Crysis while it was on sale on Steam and as I was looking at it I realized it comes with SecuROM DRM! Needless to say I closed the window as fast as I could so I didn't get infected!

From what I hear they have made some improvements to the game, but I for one will NEVER allow that spawn of evil software near my computer! This stuff is related to the DRM SOny used with the rookits that infected so many hundreds of thousands of computers several years ago.

SecuROM has been know to cause all kinds of problems in the past. Never mind the fact that they keep track of how many installations you use. 5 Max in this case. Which means that as you upgrade your computer and finally get a powerful enough machine to actually play Crysis you may not be depending on how many times you had to reinstall it on your machine! Including SecuROM defeats the whole purpose of using Steam as the distribution platform.

Tell us your SecuROM nightmare stories...

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

Give it up. It's proven that people that steal games shake in fear of DRM and that it prevents people from pirating.

Oh, wait...

"Including SecuROM defeats the whole purpose of using Steam as the distribution platform."
That's what I was thinking...

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 23

It just prevented them from making a sale or two today... Stick out tongue

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

• | Post Points: 5

Found this site that has some good information about the SecuROM Infection (Their words not mine! lol)

Reclaim Your Game

Also from their site:

What is SecuROM?

SecuROM is a form of copy protection or Digital Rights Management (DRM) created by Sony DADC. Digital Rights Management or copy protection is used in downloaded music like iTunes and PC games to restrict (or theoretically eliminate) the ability of people to illegally copy or share games or music. Most game manufacturers with the exception of Stardock use some form of copy protection in their games.

Copy protection has become more extensive in the last few years. Most older forms of copy protection used a simple disk check to establish that there was a disk in the computer that was running the game. Recently, copy protection has become more stringent, with copy protection such as Starforce and SecuROM attempting to disable programs which emulate the presence of a disk in the CD drive. As the restrictions of each subsequent form of copy protection has increased, the level of customers experiencing issues from that copy protection has increased.

Please read further, into our "What is Wrong with Securom" to find out why people protest against Securom, and would like game companies to stop using damaging DRM's.

and also from their site: (I didn't relink the images, visit their site for the full effect)

What is wrong with SecuROM?

What is wrong with Securom and other copy protection systems like it, when it's only supposed to protect the intellectual property of game companies?

Securom is used in an attempt to make it difficult to pirate software. PC game manufacturers contend that this software is successful in combating piracy, however this assertion is difficult to support as most copy protection software is cracked within a few days to a few weeks. This software is also problematic because many legitimate users experience technical problems with their PC as a result of this software being installed, and these users are often resentful of the technical issues this copy protection causes on their PCs, especially considering the people who download pirated games often experience no such issues.

Securom comes in many different versions which can include different restrictions depending on the manufacturer that is using the Copy Protection. The degree of technical problems experienced by the user tends to increase according to how restrictive the version of Securom that is included with the PC Game.

The version of Securom currently being used by most PC Game manufacturers is version 7. It is known to have the following issues for some people who have the software installed on their PC. Please note, this list is not extensive:

• Misidentifying normal, legally purchased and owned CD/DVD burning software as 'Emulation Software' and interfering with the program. This is an example of a SecuROM-infested game with this error in action, Crysis:
  • Interfering with the user's firewall
  • Screenshots taken from someone's computer the first time they ran the Sims2 FreeTime EP7, after installing a new protection program. These images clearly show that SecuROM is not to be Trusted.
  • Causing their CD/DVD drives to crash
  • Hidden SecuROM folder in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data? "SecuROM is hiding it's files from you. This image the hidden folder in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data   "made visible"
  • This shows a writeable disc which is claiming it is full even though it clearly isn't.
  • When attempting to go ahead Sonic now ceases to respond  (you can see that from the task manager window that's shown) Basically it shows someone trying to burn a backup of their game files onto a CD.
  • Interfering with Mark Russanovich's program Process Explorer, which is a program designed to give users information about what processes are running on their pc

EA games are now using a new version of Securom (used on Mass Effect and Spore) which requires online activation every time you wish to install the game or a new piece of software. This version of Securom restricts you to three activations of your game. Many users run out of their activations extremely quickly, including one user who's activations expired after two days.

In other words, Securom is intended to halt piracy, but has the effect of reducing the enjoyment of their games for the legitimate game buying public. 

Within this section, you will find a variety of articles dealing with the technical, legal and ethical explanations of what Securom is doing and arguments why game companies should not be using this kind of damaging copy protection. Which is why “Reclaim Your Game” was formed. We are legitimate game owners who want back the control of our PCs. We want to have fun with our games again and we want the product we pay for.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Devil And then pirates come to save the day!! Devil

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX