Microsoft Says Chrome Plugin Makes IE Less Secure

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 09-24-2009 12:30 PM

"The release of Google Chrome Frame, a new open source plugin that injects Chrome's renderer and JavaScript engine into Microsoft's browser, earlier this week had many web developers happily dancing long through the night. Finally, someone had found a way to get Internet Explorer users up to speed on the Web. Microsoft, on the other hand, is warning IE users that it does not recommend installing the plugin. What does the company have against the plugin? It makes Internet Explorer less secure. 'With Internet Explorer 8, we made significant advancements and updates to make the browser safer for our customers,' a Microsoft spokesperson told Ars. 'Given the security issues with plugins in general and Google Chrome in particular, Google Chrome Frame running as a plugin has doubled the attack area for malware and malicious scripts. This is not a risk we would recommend our friends and families take.'"

(Click Meh!)

>.> Google planned this!!

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 47

Over a good read and I like that they are providing it as a plugin. I agree that with the author that it probably won't affect the overall security of IE directly however I wouldn't install it for my users as an IT manager. I prefer to keep it simple and only install what they need for their day to day. I would rather not even install Flash, which as you know has it's security issues.

This statement is false:

Also, Swiss security researchers concluded in May 2009 that people who use Firefox or Chrome are more likely to be running the latest version of the software when compared against Safari and Opera users due to their auto-update mechanisms which require less user interaction. Internet Explorer wasn't even mentioned in the study, though we know that it relies on Windows Update and doesn't have an automatic built-in updater.

Windows update or Microsoft update is automatic by default and updates all version of IE. Unless a user disables this they will always have an up to date version of IE. This of course applies to Windows XP SP2 versions and higher of course. Anyone using older versions of windows on a desktop to surf is ... I was about to say deserves what the get but that is not entirely fair or true. there are plenty of users who cannot afford Windows at all, especially 3rd world users. Microsoft has made good progress towards making new OS's available for them but it still not 100%.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Mozilla also slammed Google's Chrome Frame stating "Browser Soup"

"Mozilla executives today took shots at Google for pitching its Chrome Frame plug-in as a solution to Internet Explorer's poor performance, with one arguing that Google's move will result in 'browser soup.' The Mozilla reaction puts the company that builds Firefox on the same side of the debate as rival Microsoft, which has also blasted Google over the plug-in. Mitchell Baker, the former CEO of Mozilla and currently the chairman of the Mozilla Foundation, said in a blog post, 'The overall effects of Chrome Frame are undesirable. I predict positive results will not be enduring and — and to the extent it is adopted — Chrome Frame will end in growing fragmentation and loss of control for most of us, including Web developers.' Baker says Chrome Frame's browser-in-a-browser will confuse users and render some of their familiar tools useless. 'Once your browser has fragmented into multiple rendering engines, it's very hard to manage information across Web sites. Some information will be manageable from the browser you use and some information from Chrome Frame. This defeats one of the most important ways in which a browser can help people manage their [Web] experience.'"

(Click Meh!)

Read it!

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 23

My thoughts exactly..

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX