Later School Starts Drops Absenteeism

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 03-23-2010 12:39 PM

"Monkseaton High School in North Tyneside, UK, began an experiment in October that saw its 800 pupils ranging in age from 13-19 attend school an hour later than normal, at 10am. Early results indicate that 'general absence has dropped by 8% and persistent absenteeism by 27%.' Head teacher Paul Kelley supported the idea because he believed that 'it was now medically established that it was better for teenagers to start their school day later in terms of their mental and physical health and how they learn better in the afternoon', and he now claims that the children are becoming 'happier better educated teenagers' as a result of the experiment. The experiment is being overseen by Oxford neuroscience professor Russell Foster. 'He performed memory tests on pupils at the school which suggested the more difficult lessons should take place in the afternoon. He said young people's body clocks may shift as they reach their teenage years — meaning they want to get up later not because they are lazy but because they are biologically programmed to do.'"

(Yay!)

Wow i completely, support this method. I wish i had it during my high school years. Hopefully within the next decade this will be implemented to all North American high schools.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 23
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

DarkAstraea:

Wow i completely, support this method.

Yeah, and who could possibly argue with a sentence like that? Just kidding...I think it would be beneficial to start school a little later...it just makes more sense! There's no real reason to have it so early anyways.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

It's to get the kids out of the house so the parents can go to work xD

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。

That is exactly the correct reason for the early school start time.

Most parents work 9 - 5 jobs, so they have to be out of the house early enough to be on time. So most schools usually start between 8:00 and 8:30 am. That gives most parent the time to get the kids to school and then get to work on time. It may go back even farther than that. To the old country (aka Farm) days. Farmers were notoriously early risers.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 41
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

Ahh that's true! I didn't even think of that...

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 830

I guess another solution is to skip school all together....

Well at least that works for me :D

Doded says NO!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX