Team Fortress Server Going DOWN! In protest to the latest Changes by Valve

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

ParaDOX Posted: 10-10-2007 4:52 PM

Valve has decided in their ultimate wisdom, to limit the number of player slots visible in the Server browser for TF2. This is a sad day in the gaming world. Where valve is deciding how we should host our server with thier games. I understand this is their game, really I do. but they should try to understand that we the players and server operators love their games so much because of the variety of things we can change, whether by Third party mods such as our Superhero and War3FT servers or just by changing the default Cvars to suit our playing style like the Starwars2 server which built this community! If we couldn't change the gravity on the starwars 2 server where would this community be right now? Probably wouldn't exist in this form, I can almost guarantee it. It was the low gravity that attracted people to our servers with the 24/7 starwars2 map. Other servers ran that same map but died away with the normal gravity. It allowed us the freedom to play CS our way, not the way the developers had invisioned, true, but nonetheless enabled a new style of playing. Air-strafing was born on our servers shortly thereafter and lives here still! I seriously doubt there are many other Air-Strafers out there like our guys....

Without the flexibility to do what we want within the game and the servers we would not have War3FT, Superhero, Surf,. Climbing, Zombie and many more different style of servers. I think CS would have died if it were not for the mod and mapping community that has kept rejuvenating it with new and creative content.

In any case I posted a message in the HLDS list which I know is frequented by Valve personell such as Gabe Newell and Jason Ruymen to name a few.

here is what I posted:

OUCH!!...

To actually go so far as to modify the server browser so that it won't list 32 slot TF2 servers! Never mind fixing the issues the server browser has, with various servers not displaying for whatever reasons. They chose to take away our choices. To run as many slots as we see fit, with the settings we see fit for our community. To the best of my knowledge without any notification or explanation.

First FF, now this...

All it would have taken was another filter option on the client side to select how many player slots you want display. A useful feature for any mod.

Do it in ranges: 1 - 10, 11 - 16, 18 - 24, 25 - 32 Or do it using > or < any number. An option to filter on a number of players actually playing on servers, rather than just not empty.

Any thoughts on this?

LET THE PLAYERS AND ADMINS DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES!!! YOUR MAPS WON'T BE THE ONLY MAPS FOR TF2 (or will they? Still no fgd...)

I have been hosting only Valve related servers for so many years now, since at least 2000, (WonID anyone?) that this last blow is hitting me really hard. My small community was originally based on CS. Since then we have branched out to other mods such as: CS:S, DOD:S, Gmod 10, Dystopia, Eternal Silence and now TF2. These are just the mods we liked enough to put up servers for. We currently run 18 servers and 3 HLTV servers. The love of doing this for the community is the only thing keeping me from shutting them all down right now. I am still on the fence about keeping our TF2 server up.

I pay for the bandwidth and hardware out of my own pocket, I have never asked for nor taken anything from anyone to help pay for this. It truly is something I love to do. Or at least I used to...

P.S. I do not use the modified server.dll I use the plugin. Thanks Tony, works great!

So today I will post a vote in my forums, to see if TF2 survives or not in our little community.

Yours, Truly disappointed,

Mike ParaDOX

This doesn't even begin to express my true feelings about this. My first thought was to pull the plug. But I would be selfish if I didn't consider you guys first. So let me know what you think...

Thanks...

What should we do with the Team Fortress Server?

• Keep it 32 slots - It will most likely stay empty (50%)
  • Make it 24 slots - Valve wins! (50%)
  • Shut it down - not going to play if it isn't 32 slots! (0%)
  • Total Votes: 2

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

Valve wins.

Don't destroy my baby.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 23

I haven't been around as of late for personal reasons. First off....wow....enough said

anyway, i have not come up with my decision upon this. 24 slots would make us "bare maximum" and "unattractive" as well as "plain". 32 slots is like "whoa, thats amazing." The fact that people wanted 32 slots should have been the pull for valve to increase the maximum amount of players, not restrict it more.

If only we could find a way to trick the browser as seeing us with 24 slots but in actuality, having 32

• | Post Points: 23
Top 25 Contributor
Points 728

Clearly Valve requires more Vespene Gas 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX