umm i think my steam has died

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892
tensa zangetsu Posted: 03-28-2008 7:52 PM

When i got home from work today and turned on my computer i noticed an error message about my steam and it said "Steam.exe(main exception): ERROR: copying steam.exe to C:\DOCUME~1\USER\\LOCALS~1\Temp\steam2 failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied"" so i clicked ok then tried to start up steam again. Then the steam updater popped up and got to about 30% then it dissappeared and the error message popped up again after a bit. So then i restarted my comp and the error message still popped up so i have no idead what to do other than to try and re download steam.

• | Post Points: 41
Top 25 Contributor
Points 830

Uninstall. Re install. Should work. XD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

well uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work i'm still getting the error message......

Did you try deleting ClientRegistry.blob? Make sure Steam is not running before you do this. After you do this run steam again.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 23
Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

well i tried that, the error message still pops up when i try to run steam and i know steam wasen't running since it dosen't make it to the sign in screen.

Delete the temp folder in your profile directory.

C:\DOCUME~1\USER\\LOCALS~1\Temp\steam2

And delete ClientRegistry.Blob and start steam again...

If this doesn't work, move your gcf files temporarily so you don't have to redownload them, uninstall steam, rename the steam folder. to SteamSucks, the install it again from scratch.

You may even have to clean out the Steam registry files, but that gets more complex and I don't recommend it except as a last resort.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

well i searched my temp files for steam2 but i found nothing at all that involves steam. So i uninstalled and installed as steamsucks and i still get the same error. I also tried to install it onto my second harddrive and i still get the same error.

maybe steam hates you...? you should email them saying they should sned you a new computer since their product doesn't work on yours and if they ever want you to be their customer again they must send you a new computer... :-D 

{MC}[SS] cash

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

well i think i might have found something. my steamexe files that show up when i try to run steam keep going into my steam folder and not my temp folder. However when i try to make the steam2 folder in my temp folder the error changes to steam3.

Delete ANY Steam folders you find in your temp folder. Make sure System has full permissions in that folder.

Another option is to change the location of your temp files. Make a folder called Temp in your C: drive, right click it select properties and make sure everyone and system have full permission. Then open a command prompt, and type this:

C:\> SET TEMP=C:\Temp

C:\> SET TMP=C:\Temp

Let me know what happens. It sounds like Steam is having permission issues with your Temp folder. Also make sure you are running all this as an Administrator.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

ok well i tried that Para and it still shows the error.... so i might just have to give up on steam or i might have to get a new comp

• | Post Points: 38

Tensa:

ok well i tried that Para and it still shows the error.... so i might just have to give up on steam or i might have to get a new comp

You changed your temp file location and set the permisions on it and you still get the error?

Are you logged in as an Administrator on your computer?

Oh and FIX your Email address again! I keep getting bounce back messages from Hotmail saying it can't deliver the email. Get a Google email account, or fix your hotmail account. I disabled your receiving mail from the site until it's fixed.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Don't give up on Steam, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has to be something simple that we are overlooking on your computer.

As a last resort if your computer can accept Remote Desktop Assistance maybe I can help you that way. If you trust me Wink

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

have you asked steam? 

{MC}[SS] cash

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

ok yes i am logged in as an administrator, my email is rEDITs@hotmail.com and if the emails dosen't send i don't think its a problem with my email since i get emails all the time, no i have not asked steam though maybe i should, the folder i made was not private so then it should have had full permissions and my comp can have remote assistance but i think only through msn since me and my friend have done that once where i let him access my comp to try and start a server a while back but failed due to my comp having firewalls Big Smile.

• | Post Points: 38

I see the problem, you have two accounts. Tensa and tensa zengetsu. The tensa zengetsu has the email you just posted. I edited it for security (so you don't get spammed) This account "Tensa" has the other email address that I get all the bounce backs on..

So, If you want I can try to help you with Remote assistance...

Let me know when. Come in vent.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

alright i'll come on vent 2moro after work

For those who care...

We used Windows Remote Assistance via Live Messenger to finally fix this.

I deleted all the files from the temp folder, and started the Steam install from a command prompt using the command line option "SteamInstall /?"

LOL, I was trying to see what the command line options were. But after that the install stopped at 26% as it was doing, then restarted and seemed to work fine.

So Tensa, is it all good now?

www.ParadisesGarage.com 

Top 50 Contributor
Points 892

yup its all good i'm just re dling all my games so i should be able to play cs 1.6 and source and tf2 with whoevers not playing cod4 soon

• | Post Points: 41

yep! thats me! xD

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX