New York Bill to Add Fat Tax to Entertainment Products

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 05-14-2009 8:08 PM

(Click Me)

So the consumers (gamers, etc.) are being blamed for other peoples' improper eating habits and lack of physical activity? Would suck if this bill was actually passed...

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 53
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293
Troop replied on 05-15-2009 6:24 PM

Looking from the other point of view, the logic is sound. Use a slight tax increase on things that help sustain obesity and use that revenue to fund anti-obesity programs. As obesity drops (as would be expected), less funding for these programs will be required (this means that fewer people will be purchasing sweets due to the programs, not that the taxes would be decreased). This is not a bill to help prevent the sales of sweets, video games, and movies, but an interesting way to fund a program which would attempt to solve obesity. As stated, the tax increase would be "one-quarter of one percent", which would raise the price of a $50.00 video game by 12.5 cents. It would be overthinking the problem (as some have done)to assume that this tax will be raised once the bill is passed. I believe we should worry about as it is now rather than assuming what will happen to it in the future, as I would like to think it is entirely possible to prevent the raise of such a tax if the masses were to be against it. It is, then, in my humble opinion, that this is not really much of a problem and will not affect consumers (and, more specifically, gamers) significantly.

Of course, I just wanted to attempt to bring out their side of the argument. I will remain neutral on whether I agree with it or not, as it would take much more investigation into the matter to make a worthy decision.

Any problems for us as a gaming community would be more likely to appear in the programs which are funded with the tax. It is also important that the consumption of Bacon is not affected by such a tax, as this would have a disastrous impact on the hearts of bacon lovers everywhere resulting in a massive decrease in national moral.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 23

Troop:
not that the taxes would be decreased

A tax like this once implemented would never go away...

What are they going to tax next? Air?

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

• | Post Points: 23
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

You're probably right.

ParaDOX:

What are they going to tax next? Air?

At this rate, yes.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Well from the looks of it we're going to start being taxed more heavily on carbon emissions sooner or later, as there are a couple regions in North America who are already starting programs like that. One idea I read from an economist was to replaced the Kyoto Accord with global taxation, it's a good idea and has more effect, but it all depends on what the nations think of it (economy wise).

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX