Court Rulings and Facebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458
DarkAstraea Posted: 03-23-2009 9:08 AM

(Click Me)

This shows how sites like facebook, myspace and all those other kind of sites can be used against you in a lawsuit, so watch yourself carefully people when trying to get money out of people. I still think those sites are stupid Stick out tongue

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
  • | Post Points: 41
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

"that is off limits to the public."

The internet is the public. A private web site shouldn't be a web site (well, unless it's some sort of offline site). Anything that is private should not be put on the internet! The internet is public (x2). It doesn't matter if the site it is on is supposed to be private. Putting private things on the internet is a bad idea.

As for social networking sites being stupid I have to say it really depends. The sites themselves are brilliant ideas and it just makes sense that the internet would be used for social communication with real life friends. Implementation, aside from Facebook, has been poor. Facebook really isn't so bad. It's generally a good way to keep in contact with people.

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 23

Troop:
The internet is the public. A private web site shouldn't be a web site (well, unless it's some sort of offline site). Anything that is private should not be put on the internet! The internet is public (x2). It doesn't matter if the site it is on is supposed to be private. Putting private things on the internet is a bad idea.

There are already laws in place to cover Hacking a Private server. It is illegal. The Internet itself is public but you can connect Private servers to it and still keep them private. That's what Internet Security is all about. Keeping information out of the wrong hands. Every Bank in the world uses the internet to transfer funds and allows access to their customers accounts through a web portal that is kept private by passwords. Should that information be considered public? I don't think so... It's the same with Social Networking sites. The difference is you decide what information to put out there.

Troop:
Facebook really isn't so bad. It's generally a good way to keep in contact with people.

But as always practice some prudence when posting information that is too personal or can be used against you in any way.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

This one is funny too: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29796962/ Click to read more.

MSNBC:
Why waste valuable social networking hours getting yourself "Facebook fired," when Twitter allows you to humiliate yourself quickly, and in 140 characters or less?

A recent tweet by one would-be Cisco employee proves that when it comes to placing a permanent black mark on your resume via the Internet, Twitter is now the tool of choice. To illustrate, here’s the tweet the now Web-infamous "theconnor" shared with the world:

"Cisco just offered me a job! Now I have to weigh the utility of a fatty paycheck against the daily commute to San Jose and hating the work.”

It wasn’t long before Tim Levad, a "channel partner advocate" for Cisco Alert, shared this open response:

"Who is the hiring manager. I’m sure they would love to know that you will hate the work. We here at Cisco are versed in the web."

My Boss is on my Facebook friends list. I'm always aware of it, but I do consider him a friend, infact someof my comments have been meant for him! lol.

Some Coworkers even read what I post here. Inox of course.  :) but there are others.

I generally have nothing to hide, as those of you who know me will agree. I only keep hidden personal stuff my wife asks me to keep off the net.

I read a few other articles about People getting fired or other legal issues due to their postings on the net.

www.ParadisesGarage.com 
Remember... Where ever you go, there you are...

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

ParaDOX:

There are already laws in place to cover Hacking a Private server. It is illegal. The Internet itself is public but you can connect Private servers to it and still keep them private. That's what Internet Security is all about. Keeping information out of the wrong hands. Every Bank in the world uses the internet to transfer funds and allows access to their customers accounts through a web portal that is kept private by passwords. Should that information be considered public? I don't think so... It's the same with Social Networking sites. The difference is you decide what information to put out there.

Ah, touché, I hadn't really thought about how businesses use the internet privately. Of course that information should be kept private. My comment was directed more towards the average individual.

ParaDOX:

But as always practice some prudence when posting information that is too personal or can be used against you in any way.

I agree. This is always a must. A good general rule is that if you wouldn't do it/say it/show it in front of your family, your boss, or your friends, then don't post it on the internet even if you think what your posting will be kept private.

The internet is a really scary place and it's still new so we don't have everything worked out yet. In some states I've heard that it's still possible to have somebodies birth certificate mailed to your house. You don't need to be a relative to the person; you don't even need to be a relative! If you have their name and their birth date (most people post both of these together on facebook) you can order that person's birth certificate. Using the information on the birth certificate it's easy to make a fake ID. Having a fake ID will allow you to have access to that person's social security number. Once they get that...well, good game.

Not to mention gaining additional information about a person is also very simple. Birth certificate information, marriage/divorce records, crime records, family members, previous homes, court records, home value, and more is all available on the internet for a cost (although sometimes the information is invalid or outdated). Then of course we have satellite views of where people live, how close their neighbors are, where they park the car, if they have a garage, how big their house is, and several other things people might look at if they're up to no good.

And people wonder why I refuse to disclose any personal information with anyone over the internet... but I think I've gone off topic. People need to be aware and careful of what they're doing on the internet. Things on the internet don't always disappear as easily as some people think they will (Of course, not everybody needs to be as paranoid as I am either).

http://www.paradisesgarage.com/mcweb2/photos/troop/images/2372/original.aspx[/IMG]

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,293

Hah! Your last post reminds me that Twitter people even have a term for when somebody posts something regrettable while drunk on Twitter. Also, I admire the "nothing to hide" style. I don't really have anything to hide either, but most of the time I'd rather be anonymous.

[EDIT:] Also, I just checked out the link. I repeated a few things that were said in it, but I couldn't help laughing hysterically at the phrase "It’s like virtual Darwinism."

Top 10 Contributor
Points 8,458

Lol, which is why I try to keep my personal life and gaming life separate. Hence all the various aliases, HAHA.

Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? 多分そして。
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright {MC}ParaDOX